Welcome!

Hi friends! This blog is for teachers and families- all for the sheer joy of literacy. When we are enthusiastic about reading and writing our students and our own kids become excited to read and write. I hope that we all can be models for those in our care- how did you show your passion for reading, writing, learning, language, or words today?? It's in those small, daily moments that we teach kids to love literacy.


Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I Think I'm in Love with This Man!

It all started in grad school...

This is Michael Graves, well-know vocabulary researcher. I first learned about Graves when I was writing my final paper about vocabulary instruction. When I was researching the paper, his name came up constantly, since he has a strong presence in the world of teaching reading. I grew to love his pedagogical perspective.

This fall I am co-teaching a Literacy Development credential class with my husband. If you can imagine, I was ecstatic when I found out he authored one of the five recommended texts for a course on teaching reading. Of course his text is amazing and also aligned with current research and best practices. 

But wait, there's more!

I am coordinating our school's intervention aides this year. We needed to find a vocabulary intervention program that our aide could use with students. And again, Michael Graves came through with an affordable and well-researched vocabulary program (Vocabulary Builders). It is a simple program that exactly meets the needs of our school. 

This may see like an ad (or a marriage proposal??), but it's not. I just really appreciate how this one researcher has so affected my understanding of vocabulary instruction, and he has provided teachers with tools to best teach vocabulary to our students.

Thank you Michael Graves!  

For more Michael Graves, check out an article authored on Vocabulogic here.

Be well! Read on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...