Welcome!

Hi friends! This blog is for teachers and families- all for the sheer joy of literacy. When we are enthusiastic about reading and writing our students and our own kids become excited to read and write. I hope that we all can be models for those in our care- how did you show your passion for reading, writing, learning, language, or words today?? It's in those small, daily moments that we teach kids to love literacy.


Monday, March 5, 2012

Reading + Pinning + Doing (10)

I was having some techinical difficulties...But here it is (a day late)


Reading
To balance Dostoevsky's The Idiot (a dense, slow read), I picked up Why We Get Fat, by Gary Taubes.  I'm not much of a non fiction reader, but I am taken with this book. 


Taubes ideas are somewhat controversial, but Taubes appears to be well-respected in the science community. His thesis generally is that we should cut out/limit as many carbs as possible (carbs drives insulin which drives fat production) including all sugars (yes, even fruits), milk products, breads, beans, rice, etc... He encourages us to eat as many green veggies as possible, along with meats. (This is super simplified btw- his reasoning is much more articulate and based in history and science).
I haven't been able to lose a lot of my baby weight... and have started to be bothered by it more and more.This book deals with the science and history of obesity/fat in the world. In the past, I've blamed a lot of my weight on genetics, and I don't think that's the healthiest mindset (it doesn't really motivate me to change my eating/exercise habits!)

I'm about 50 pages into this book, and I've learned a lot. I'm hoping to become more educated about the science of food, so that I am more knowledgeable about my body and health, etc.. I'm not much into fad diets, or dieting at all, but I realize that I need to try something soon so that I can become more healthy! 
Has anyone out there read this book? If so, what do you think about Taubes' ideas?

With my little one, in heavy circulation this week is... 

To Market, To Market by Anne Miranda (Illustrated by Janet Stevens): This book is lively, and great fun for any preschooler. It starts off with the mother goose rhyme and gives us a literal picture of what it would be like to go pick up a cow, duck, a spring lamb at the store. The illustrations are wonderful- A real hoot! I love it and my daughter asks for it every night. 


 

Pinkalicious by Victoria Kann and Elizabeth Kann: Hmmmm, I don't know if I approve of this book. It's cute, but Pinkalicious loves cupcakes and isn't a fan of green veggies (not a mindset we want to advocate for in our house). But, my daughter loves it. And it is pretty silly that Pinkalicious turns pink! My daughter isn't that into girly things, but maybe this book will do her in.


Potty by Leslie Patricelli: We've had this book for a while. My daughter isn't potty-trained, but we thought that this book would warm her up to the idea (hasn't worked yet). We hadn't read this book for over a month, and when we picked it up this week my daughter started "reading" it. She got all the words spot on on 4-5 pages. My hubby and I were astounded and impressed! This is the first book she has been able to do that with. My little girl is growing up too fast!




Pinning
There are so many great pins out there! Here are some of my favs from the week!
This Alphabet Mat from Teach Beside Me. I would love to make one of these for my little girl! It looks pretty simple.


This Guided Reading Focus Chart by Level from What the Teacher Wants. This is a handy resource for any elementary teacher.


Doing
Staying up too late!! I'm trying to get in bed by 10:30 these days, and it's after 11pm. So goodnight all, have a great week! I'm going to bed!
Have a super week! And please share- I'd love to know what you are Reading, Pinning, Doing??!!

I'm Linking up:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...