Welcome!

Hi friends! This blog is for teachers and families- all for the sheer joy of literacy. When we are enthusiastic about reading and writing our students and our own kids become excited to read and write. I hope that we all can be models for those in our care- how did you show your passion for reading, writing, learning, language, or words today?? It's in those small, daily moments that we teach kids to love literacy.


Saturday, February 25, 2012

Reading + Pinning + Doing (9)

ReadingHere are a couple of our library favs from the past week:


Rap a Tap Tap by Leo and Diane Dillion is a preschooler's story of BoJangles, an American tap dancer. This has great repetition and rhyme. This book is great for any child ages 2-6.

Nora's Room by Jessica Harper, illustrated by  Lindsay Harper duPont, is a silly, fun book. Nora is making a ruckus up in her room playing make believe. I also like that the author and illustrator are sisters.

Better Not Get Wet, Jesse Bear by Nancy White Calstrom also is filled with rhyme: Goldfish, goldfish/ swimming with a fin swish. Let me help you flap about/ I can zigzag in and out. I like the playfulness of the rhymes, but I don't love the illustrations- they're a bit dated.

Can you Growl like a Bear? by John Bulter is well written, and has soft, captivating illustrations. Here's a taste of the writing: Can you CROAK like a tree frog, basking in the rain? Can you ROAR like a leopard, slinking slowly by? This would be a great book for any preschooler.

We love Raffi's song, Shake My Sillies Out, so this book is fun to sing/read.

My daughter is still asking for Where is My Teddy? from last week, so I think we'll have to check it out again soon.

Pinning
This is a great site for educational games: Cookie.com. I like that you can also make an account for your child/students and track their progress. I suggested this site to a teacher that needs some additional sight word and multiplication practice for one of her students.

Logo


Doing
I have slacked on blogging because I have been busy, busy, busy. But life has been full of good times with friends and family, so I cannot complain.

I went to Glen Ellen (Sonoma wine country) with my sister, friends, spouses, and 6 kiddos. Good times.
Cousins take an epic hike

 My two lovelies

spontaneous reading happened often...

 amid chaos

 my husband and I took a walk to a winery


most of the clan 

my little family 

 we got our new backsplash installed- yay, I'm so excited!

 Me and my sweetie on a walk

It was a good long weekend.

Linking up at Mouse Learns, Mouse Grows (a little late!)



1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a fun trip!

    Thanks for sharing about Cookie.com with Favorite Resources :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...