Welcome!

Hi friends! This blog is for teachers and families- all for the sheer joy of literacy. When we are enthusiastic about reading and writing our students and our own kids become excited to read and write. I hope that we all can be models for those in our care- how did you show your passion for reading, writing, learning, language, or words today?? It's in those small, daily moments that we teach kids to love literacy.


Thursday, November 24, 2011

Books I'm Most Thankful For

Books I'm most thankful for:
These selections aren't too terribly original, but I am very thankful for them nonetheless. These are the books that I think about often: perhaps the characters made an impression, conflicts rang true, they symbolized a certain period of my life, the writing impressed, or the plots kept me up all night. 


I read Grapes of Wrath in high school (as did everyone else!). It really stuck with me. I love the resilience of this family, despite so much hardship. I remember really enjoying reading my assignments for class (possibly a first?!).


Back in high school, I took senior English with my BFF. We bonded over Jane Eyre. This book reminds me that the experience of can bring us closer to those around us.


One of my college roommates inspired me to read The Brothers K. It made a deep impression on me. I need to read it again. I think I would mean so much more to me now.

 

Soon after I graduated college and became more of a reader, my sister recommended The Poisonwood Bible and The Color of Water. The Color of Water really shaped my understanding of the complexity of racial  identity. At the time I was a newcomer to racially diverse Oakland, so it's a book that most symbolizes a shift in my thinking and being. The Poisonwood Bible touched me, especially the characters and the setting- it helped me to understand and paint a picture of my mother's childhood.


Loved this.


My (now) hubby and I read this out loud together when we were first dating (even though he skipped ahead to the end!!!) Thus began my love for all things PD James!


Chiam Potok is one of my favorite authors. He writes novels about Hasidic Jewish communities in New York.  The characters tend to have internal conflict dealing with the their traditional and modern culture clashing. I personally  connect a lot to this conflict, as my mom grew up in an Orthodox Christian community, and I grew up in a fairly traditional Christian community.


I read the Call of the Wild out loud to my middle school students. They were riveted; I was riveted. Jack London lived several blocks from the all Latino low-income school I was teaching at...it was so neat for us all to feel kinship with London.


This book (The Red Tent)reminds me of the joys and pains of womanhood. I loved this book.

I raced through this book (She's Come Undone), and loved it all.


Fun Home, a graphic novel memoir, faintly reminded me of my family. There was a lot of secrecy in Bechdel's family- and the father was a lot like my dad. I recommended for my book club and it didn't mesh well with folks. I think it struck such a cord with me because of the personal connection.


I read Cutting for Stone last year. It was a moving novel. The writing was beautiful.

Have a great Thanksgiving!!! I hope you get to spend some quality time with loved ones. Now I have to go grab a pie from the oven!

Be well! Read On!

2 comments:

  1. The Grapes of Wrath shaped my early life, too. It was the first book I had to write a real analytical paper on. It was so hard, but my teacher was amazing, and he really pushed me to do my best. He had a lot of faith in me. I remember enjoying reading that book very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane Eyre is still my fave book ever! Though I haven't been able to make it all the way through it since high school. It must have been the reading buddy I had! =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...