Welcome!

Hi friends! This blog is for teachers and families- all for the sheer joy of literacy. When we are enthusiastic about reading and writing our students and our own kids become excited to read and write. I hope that we all can be models for those in our care- how did you show your passion for reading, writing, learning, language, or words today?? It's in those small, daily moments that we teach kids to love literacy.


Thursday, October 6, 2011

Free Printable: Running Record with 100s Grid


Hey Friends! Since I mentioned I am using this 100s grid for all of my running records each year, I'd thought I'd share it here. Take it, use it, share it, change it.

WOW this simple, stripped-down grid saves me a lot of time. Instead of taking the time to calculate a percentage for a student's reading accuracy (which you have to do when a child reads more/less than 100 words), I can use this sheet quickly to find an accuracy rate sans calculator. Brilliant time saver! This is especially important when you do 5-8 of these running records per day or when you're a busy teacher (hint: that's you!).

I use this exactly as I would a blank running record sheet. Don't know what a running record is? See my other post about running records here.

I also do miscue analysis on each of my running records, but I do this on the computer only, not by hand. I want to easily share the information about the student's reading with their classroom teacher. I can post the template I use for that soon.

Running Records with 100 grid


 Notes on this template:
  • I don't print out page two, but I use these comprehension prompts, to have consistency.
  • The boxes at the bottom of page one are a space for me to write notes about what the student is doing well (+) and what the students didn't do well (-), and needs more instruction on. I titled the boxes based off of what I tend to work with kids on- comprehension, fluency/accuracy, and the student's use (or lack thereof) of reading strategies.
  • I record the student % accuracy and circle if this is their independent, instructional, or frustrational level. For me, 97-100% is independent, 90-96% is instructional, and 89% or below is frustrational.
  • I have a space at the top for instructional focus. I like to give the student a focus before the begin reading- I use Running Records to coach/instruct my students, and not just to assess them. 
  • I keep all my running records in a fat binder. I start a new binder at the beginning or each year. The running records are ordered alphabetically by students' first names.
  • Before I put the running records in the binder I analyze the miscues on a different template (using Microsoft's OneNote). I send an email to their classroom teacher with this analysis, so they can also use the information to also guide their instruction. 
 Be well! Read on! Teach on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...