Welcome!

Hi friends! This blog is for teachers and families- all for the sheer joy of literacy. When we are enthusiastic about reading and writing our students and our own kids become excited to read and write. I hope that we all can be models for those in our care- how did you show your passion for reading, writing, learning, language, or words today?? It's in those small, daily moments that we teach kids to love literacy.


Friday, June 24, 2011

Library Loot: Pretty New Books

So, I've been attracted to the new kids books lately at the library. Here's what I picked up this Tuesday:


This is the first time I was introduced to Nikki Grimes' Dyamonde Daniel book series. I can see a lot of my 4/5 struggling readers really enjoying this series. I just read the first chapter and am loving it. I think young urban students would really connect to the characters.








Eloise Greenfield has presented a collection of beautiful poems about The Great Migration of Blacks from the South to the North from 1915-1930. This book could be for elementary students, but if I was a high school history teacher I would use this books as a hook into talking about The Great Migration. The art is lovely as well!






I love Katie Klise's books, and this is no exception. I think young readers would really enjoy Over My Dead Body. Her books always have a lot of artifacts and illustrations- which is especially great for the reluctant reader.








The beautiful cover of this book called to me. It's a little dream-like and fantastical. Kids may not connect to the characters, but they will be swept away by the illustrations and story-telling.







I can't wait to share this for Non Fiction Monday. This fun book is about the invention of bubble gum!









Summer is before us. I saw this book about family day trips in Nor Cal- had to pick it up to see if anything spoke to me for our family of 3!








Enjoy your day! Hopefully you'll scoot over to The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader and check out all of the other fabulous Library Loot posts!

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!




Be Well! Read on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...