Welcome!

Hi friends! This blog is for teachers and families- all for the sheer joy of literacy. When we are enthusiastic about reading and writing our students and our own kids become excited to read and write. I hope that we all can be models for those in our care- how did you show your passion for reading, writing, learning, language, or words today?? It's in those small, daily moments that we teach kids to love literacy.


Friday, May 27, 2011

Verano Latino

Most of the kids at my school are Latino. So, I wanted to put together a list of books that they may enjoy reading over the summer, books that they would particularly connect to. These books have Latino authors and/Latino protagonists. This list, of course, would be great for any young reader, Latino or not. I haven't read all of the books below.

Francisco Jimenez!! Love him! He has this series recounting his own childhood. His family was migrant farm workers up and down California. Years laters, Jimenez is a Professor in the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures at Santa Clara University near San Jose, CA. My middle school students loved this series. I would recommend it to students in grades 4-8.


I haven't read Tomas and the Library Lady. But it gets great reviews. I could see my students really enjoying this book!


My Abuelita looks like another good read for a younger student!


I am tutoring a couple of 5th grade girls in reading this summer. I'd think they'd really enjoy reading Dona Flor.


Another Jimenez text for younger readers. I really like this book, especially because my school's name is Monarch. It compares the seasonal migration of the Monarch butterfly to that of the migrant worker- a great book.


I could see Mexican American middle schoolers really enjoying this book. I'm going to have to read it this summer.


My middle school students loved this book, Always Running. Many chose to read it for Banned Book Week. Although I got in trouble from many of the parents because of the cursing, etc..  It did motivate my students to read ferociously, and I'm always okay with that!


Many students in grades 3rd-5th love Esperanza Rising. I may have to have my tutees read this during the summer.


The Dreamer, also by Pam Munoz Ryan, looks amazing! I also love Peter Sis.


Gary Soto's books really target that late-elementary/early middle school male reader. His protagonist are often young male Latinos. I love this writing, and my students always really enjoy his books. This book is set in Fresno, CA.


Love Sandra Cisneros! Her books bring life into the classroom! I read House on Mango Street with my middle school students- they love love loved it. It's a series of vignettes from the life in the barrio. I had my students write personal vignettes after they read this book. Simply wonderful. I found a Hairs (one of the vignettes), written in picture book format for early elementary students. It would be great to teach visualization or author's craft to young students.


Here are some more useful links around the web:
Spanish Heritage Book Collection from Colorin Colorado!
Migrant Stories Book Collection from Colorin Colorado!
Pat Mora's List of Latino Children's Authors and Illustrators

Let me know what you think of these books. Which have you/your students read and enjoyed?


Be well! Read on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...