Welcome!

Hi friends! This blog is for teachers and families- all for the sheer joy of literacy. When we are enthusiastic about reading and writing our students and our own kids become excited to read and write. I hope that we all can be models for those in our care- how did you show your passion for reading, writing, learning, language, or words today?? It's in those small, daily moments that we teach kids to love literacy.


Tuesday, March 1, 2011

School Reform with Diane Ravitch

Diane Ravitch, author of the book The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education, is pushing back against the charter school movement, especially those schools that invest so much into high-stakes testing. I work for a charter school system that she probably would have plenty to rail against. I agree with her on many points: I do feel like we need to support our teachers, give them due process, along with good curriculum. However, I have never been a part of a union, which she seems to support, and I am also really content teaching at my charter school(non-union), and I see that the teachers and the school are doing a lot of good for the students.

I plan to read her book soon, and after I understand where she's coming from, I'm sure I'll have a more developed opinion about her position on school reform. 

For leisure reading, check out this article she wrote on CNN.com about education reform in light of the recent protests in Wisconsin.

What do you think of charter schools? Unions? High-stakes testing? Does Ravitch have it right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...