Welcome!

Hi friends! This blog is for teachers and families- all for the sheer joy of literacy. When we are enthusiastic about reading and writing our students and our own kids become excited to read and write. I hope that we all can be models for those in our care- how did you show your passion for reading, writing, learning, language, or words today?? It's in those small, daily moments that we teach kids to love literacy.


Sunday, March 6, 2011

The School Day

I was reading Oakland Local's post about ARISE H.S. in Oakland. It's a charter school in the Fruitvale Village (near Fruitvale BART). Does anyone know anything about this school? According to the article, their school day is from 9am-5:15pm. That's craziness! But I get it, and I think it's a good move. Studies have shown for eons that H.S. students function better later in the day, and yet we ask them to get to school usually by 7:30 in the morning. I also think it's good to provide them learning opportunities in the afternoon.

My push back on the long school day: What about those students that need to work to help support themselves or their families? What do those students do? I think that is a reality for many students in Oakland (or any other urban area).

Check out the full article Here.

Read On!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...